Tuesday, February 5, 2008

C (consumption?) A (technology?) W (wages?) : A Rant in Progress

(Not to be published!)

To cheer me up, a friend recently made me read about John Maynard Keynes on the blog ‘More Intelligent Life’. And when I say read about Kenyes, I mean read about the man’s sex diaries. The article explores how the famous economist kept immaculate records of his adventures, one of which is a coded diary kept year-by-year, in quarterly increments. The activities Keynes performed are categorised as “C”, “A” or “W”, and the writer goes on rather a bit too gleefully to speculate what those letter may mean, and the implications of Keynes’ tally. (An example: “Surprisingly, for several quarters, W happened zero times. So either Keynes didn't bother to masturbate, or he didn't need to because his other numbers are so high.”)

What bugged me about the piece is not so much the crude language. I don’t mind “cock-sucking”, “copulation”, “masturbating” or comparing seeking anonymous sex with investing in the stock market. With a title like “The Sex Diaries of John Maynard Keynes”, I wasn’t expecting something clean. But I was expecting… something novel. Why should I care whether Keynes “C”-ed 28 times between August and November 1908? Why should I care whether he chose to Wank, sleep with a Woman, sleep with his Wife, have sex at Work? What can any of these inform us about Bretton Woods? What do any of these add to our macroeconomic knowledge?

Nothing much really.

(To be continued...)

1 comment:

Avnish said...

I stand by Child, Adult(Man) and Woman... Who'd have thought Keynes could be that kinky.. ??